What to do if my father is in the hospital critically ill and he just informed me that he listed my name on his mortgage which is 6 months behind in payments?

The house is in very bad shape and in need of many repairs. Will I be responsible if he should pass away?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Legally, no one can "list" you on a mortgage or make you responsible for a debt without your consent--you have to agree to be bound by a debt. Practically, if the bank is unaware that you did not consent, they try to recover the money from you. You should retain a lawyer to help you resolve this IMMEDIATELY; that may entail  letting the bank know that your father acted illegally, without authority, and without your consent in putting your name on his mortgage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.