how can I prove that I am my father’s heir if he is not on my birth certificate?

My father is deceased and his ex-wife is trying to sell his house. However, she cannot sell it without me, his heir. Yet no where in the paperwork for the deed does it say who his heir is. I am in fact my father’s only heir but I can’t prove it because he is not on my birth certificate.

Asked on July 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney in your locality about the matter as to the best way to prove that your deceased father is in fact your natural father. Possibly there may be some DNA of your deceased father with his physician that you can obtain and prove lineage via forensic testing. The suggested attorney in your locality can be found on

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.