What to do if my father-in-law passed away over a year ago and my husband and I purchased 2 acres of land with a house from him but it is still in his name?

What do I have to do to have the deed put in mine and my husband’s name.

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the deed to the property that you purchased from your decased father-in-law still shows title in his name and not yours and your spouse's, you need to consult with a real estate attorney to see why title is not in your name. Hopefully the purchase went through an established formal escrow with a signed contract, preliminary title report, and deed signing by the father-in-law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.