If my father-in-law left his house to me, how do I get it in my name?

He also made me his executor. I need to get a loan on the home to pay his bills but lenders I have talked to say I can’t until the house is in my name. Time is running out. I live in the home and have been told that if I don’t settle his estate, it will be put up for auction. That will leave me homeless. What do I do?

Asked on June 28, 2014 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to consult with a Wills and trust attorney to assist you in the matter to get the matter probated as soon as possible and to pay the lender to that the home is not lost in foreclosure. Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.