If my father has a living trust in which us kids are given the house, now that dad is getting married will that affect the trust?

AKA will she get the house? My brother is Trustee.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The terms of the trust and a review of the assets of the estate, etc., is really needed to give guidance here.  Understand though that a trust is not like a Will in that marriage and divorce do not automatically affect or change the terms of the Living Trust. It has to be amended.  But also understand that if your state requires that a spouse receive a percentage of the estate of their deceased spouse it could rock the boat.  But it seems here that the house is separate property prior to marriage and that too has an impact.  Dad needs to have a pre nup of some sort.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.