If my father had assigned an executor to his Will but they died before the probate was finished, what should I do next?

The process was nearly completed, excluding a few items involving a house and mineral rights. Recently the executor passed away.

Asked on September 30, 2014 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your father.

Since the executor is deceased, you can petition the Probate Court to appoint another executor.

Prior to petitioning the court to appoint another executor, check the Will and see if there is a provision for naming another executor or if an alternate executor has been designated in the event the original executor was unable to serve.

If the Will is silent regarding appointment of an alternate executor, file a petition with the Probate Court asking the court to appoint an executor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.