What to do if my father had a life insurance policy that named my mother as beneficiary but she has passed and ther are funds held in an immediate benefit account?

My brother and I are named beneficiaries. Will we be liable to pay creditors on her estate?

Asked on March 29, 2014 under Estate Planning, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, you need to send the representative for the life insurance company certified copies of the death certificates of both of your parents requesting the insurance porceeds to be paid out to the alternate beneficiaries who I presume are you and your brother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.