If my father died without a Will and had an estate worth over $50,000, how do my brother or I get appointed personal representative of his estate?

Asked on February 6, 2015 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You'll need to make application with the appropriate probate court; that is the one in the county in which he was domiciled as of the date of his death. Each court has different procedures for doing this, so contact the court for further information. Just know that if someone else wants to be apointed, the court will make the final determination on this. Otherwise, you and your brother will be co-personal representatives. Again, the court (or court clerk) can further explain your duties or can at least direct you to a source of information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.