What to do if my father died 7 years ago and my stepmother won’t show me his Will?

My stepmother refused to show me the Will but my father told me that he left provisions in it for me, his only son. I am looking for the Will.

Asked on August 18, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  Maybe a family attorney has a copy?  If the WIll was filed with the probate court then it is a public record and you can view it.  It would be filed in the county in which your father resided at the time of his death.  If there is no Will and an intestacy proceeding was filed, you can review that as well.  If you suspect that there is a WIll and that she is hiding it consider filing an intestacy proceeding and being appointed as the personal representative and move things alone.  SPeak with a lawyer as to your options here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.