If my father died and I’m executor but the Will is with a law office that I don’t want to deal with, am I able to go to another law office and get the Will from the first office?

Am I able to go to another law office and get the original will from the first office? I do have a copy of the Will.

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can either fire the first law firm and go there to obtain the Will and a copy of the file or you can go to the second law firm which will have you sign a substitution of attorney form so they can represent you instead of the former law firm.  The second law firm can then request the Will and a copy of your file from the first law firm.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.