What to do if someone has taken advantage of an elderly person?

My father asked me to be his power of attorney 90 days ago while he was visiting me at my home. He then returned to his home (in another state) and his girlfriend said that I coerced him to sign the papers for POA. She was in rage stopped all communication with my father. Just today I got a letter revoking the POA. I believe his girlfriend, who is 25 years younger than him, bullied into signing the letter. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on April 22, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If he is mentally incompetent, you could *possibly* have him declared incompetent by a court and seek to have yourself appointed as his guardian; if you want to explore that option, consult with an elder law attorney. But if he is mentally compentent, there is likely nothing you can do: a compentent adult is free to listen to a girlfriend over a child, for example.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.