my farther died wrong full death my brother is in bankruptcy can his lawyer hold up my case even tho hes not my father blood son

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Accident Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I agree that there seems to be more information needed to help answer your questions.   When you write back try and give specifics about the relationships and if your brother can legally inherit from your Father's estate (you call him your brother but then say he is not a "blood son").  Also, has a wrongful death action been started?  Who, besides you, has the right to sue for wrongful death of your Dad?  Are you concerned that your brother's bankruptcy and his right, if any to receive a portion of the wrongful death settlement will hold up your case and possible settlement?  Try to give detailed information that touches on these questions.

L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm not sure I understand your question.  It sounds like you are suing over the wrongful death of your dad.  I'm not sure what your brother's bankruptcy has to do with your lawsuit.  They appear to be two separate issues.  There's definitely some information missing here.  Why don't you write again and give more complete information.  Start over and give more of the circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.