What to do if the moving company that we hired broke our binding quote and sold our contract to another company that charged us double the original quote?

The movers then held our household goods until we paid them another $2100. When they finally got here over half our stuff was broken includingour 47 inch TV, entertainment center, family heirlooms and book shelves. Many items were missing as well. Their insurance is a bogus firm that never pays out and if they do it is only .60 cents a pound. What legal action can I talk to recover my list goods and extra money that was added in the end from holding my stuff hostage?

Asked on October 6, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue both companies, for breach of contract, for professional negligence, or the tort of damaging and destroying your goods, and for fraud (for intentionally making material, or important, misrepresentations, or lies about what they could or would do). You can potentially look to recover everything over the orginal quolte and for the value of anything broken or missing. From what  you write, it would be worth hiring an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.