What are my rights if my ex-wife posted mySSN on a social networking site?

We have been divorced for 20 years.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Family Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your wife has probably committed idenity theft crimes and crimes dealing with criminal harassment. Further, she may be liable to you civilly for invasion of privacy and identity theft. Immediately contact the social networking site to shut her down and report that posting as quickly as you can. Then, contact the police after you make a copy of the posting and email it to yourself and then immediately contact your three credit reporting agencies to file a fraud claim and explain why. You may have to renew the fraud claim and then contact social security and see if you need to do something with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.