What can I do if my extended warranty company for my car has denied my claim twice?

I only have 400 miles until the warranty expires. I took it in a few months ago and a CV boot was leaking. The warranty company stated they don’t cover when it is a small leak. Now, I took it back and both boots are leaking more. The warranty company says they will not pay for repair because I drove the car with a known problem. What can I do?

Asked on October 6, 2015 under General Practice, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your understanding or reading of the warranty is that they should cover this claim, you can sue them for breach of contract the warranty is a contract, and they must pay when the terms of that contract indicate that they should. You could also throw in a claim for violation of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, or the obligation to essentially be honorable not generous or helpful, but fair and honest when dealing with the other party to a contract, since telling you that they couldn't help you with the initial leak without telling you what could happen if you let it go untreated, or denying your later claim after first refusing to help you, could be seen as a lack of good faith and fair dealing. If the amount is less than the limit for your small claims court, suing in small claims court, acting as your own attorney "pro se" is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.