What to do if my ex-husband is over $5000 behind in child support and continues to work for cash to avoid having to pay?

FOC says they are months behind in filing and will not be able to do anything for quite some time. Am I able to pursue legal action on my own? The small claims limit in my state is now $5000 and I would love to be able to take him to court to compel him to pay.

Asked on November 8, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is an order of support in effect against your "ex", the best way to enforce the order is to file with the court where the order was issued an order to show cause regarding contempt of a court order. I suggest that you retain a family law attorney to assist you in the endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.