If my ex-husband has a Class c misdeamnor of assault with deferred adjudication, is it possible to get it expunged?

The case is from 5 years ago. I don’t think there is anything I can do.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A deferred adjudication or sentence is generally a situation where a person is placed on probation for a certain period of time, and once that probation has been successfully completed, the case itself will be dismissed. If the person fails to complete probation, then the adjudication will be a criminal conviction on the person's record. Because some deferred adjudication cases may still appear on a person's record even if dismissed, they can still be expunged if that person meets all of the legal requirements to have that conviction set aside and or expunged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.