What can I do if my ex-wife stopped paying the mortgage payment ordered by the court now my credit is hurt?

She was awarded our home in our divorce; the decree stated that she had to pay the payments and had 3 months to refinance or sell the home so it would be out of my name. It took her 7 months to sell the home and she stopped making payments after the first month. My credit rating is now shot and the mortgage company refuses to work with me even after sending them a copy of the divorce decree. Is there any legal recourse?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Proving damage to one's credit rating in terms of dollars and cents is ordinarily a hard thing to do requiring expert witnesses which can be quite costly. As such, a lawsuit does not see cost effective against your former spouse from what you have written.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of consumer law to see what can be sent to the credit reporting agencies that reference you as having bad credit to see what can be done to possibly improve your score. For example, letters of explanation.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.