What to do if my ex-wife still uses my last name in her work email address?

She said that she tried to change it but her company refused and said that customers know her by my last name instead of her maiden name. What can I do to have her company change her email address from my last name to her maiden name?

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately under the laws of all states in this country you cannot force your former spouse's employer to change her name designation at work. You can request that it be done but her employer is not required to honor the request. Ultimately the name change on the e mail address for your "ex" at her place of employment is something she needs to remedy, not you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.