What can happen if my ex-wife has warrant and asked for my help but I refused and when police asked me if I have heard from her I said no?

She said she was leaving state.

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Criminal Law, Alabama


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you had information regarding her whereabouts and were asked directly-- then you could be charged with hindering apprehension.  You can refuse to help them... but you cannot actively hide your ex-wife... and giving false or incorrect information could be construed as attempting to hinder her arrest.  If they don't know that you gave false information at this point, then likely nothing will happen because they don't have information with which to charge you.  However, if they do ask you again, you need to tell them what you do know- simply that she's left the state or planning to leave the state-- and you don't know more than that. 

Your relationship with your ex- may be good or bad... but it seems likes she has gotten herself in a situation -- and those are her choices to deal with not yours.  Avoid any overlap into her troubles by simply telling law enforcement the truth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.