What to do if my ex-wife had her vehicle repossessed and it was in both of our names?

During our divorce I bought up the issue about us both having vehicles in both of our names but the judge didn’t rule anything on it just told us both to pay our bills. Is there anything I can do to show creditors that that vehicle was her responsibility?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can show the creditor that the debt is her responsibility, but they can still come after you for the note on the car.  They are not bound by the divorce decree because they were not a party to the divorce.  Your remedy is to take your wife back to court with an enforcement or contempt action, ask the court to require her to pay the debt, and if possible, refinance the note on the car in her name alone-- so that you are no longer financially tied to the vehicle.  You can also ask the court to order her to pay any costs or attorney's fees associated with the filing of your motion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.