If my ex-wife extracted money from my unemployment debit card without my consent, is she guilty of fraud and can I have her arrested?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Criminal Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your former spouse improperly and without your consent obtained money from your unemployment debit card she potentially engaged in a criminal act. To resolve the situation, I would call her up asking for the return of the money and follow up with your conversation with a written letter. Keep a copy of the letter for future need.

If she refuses to abide with your request, I would then contact law enforcement and make a police report about the situation. Do not threaten a criminal action against her. What she supposedly did could be considered theft and/or fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.