My ex-wife doesn’t let me see my kids not even talk to them. Can she do that?

My ex-wife submitted a suit for child support
even after I have been giving her money. But
now she doesn’t let me see my kids. She has
prohibited to my kids to see me even to call
me. I talk to them on the phone but they need
to hide in a room or closet to call me because
she’s forcing them to not answer my calls or
they can’t call me. Is this legal what she’s
doing? Is it healthy for my kids what’s she
doing to them? Scolding them if they call me.
What can I do to see my kids?

Asked on October 15, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal.  And yes, it is quite unhealthy for the children.  Generally speaking, you can not use your children as ransom for support.  So she can not prohibit you from seeing them even if you were not paying.  You need to go back to court  ASAP and file a Petition to hold her either in contempt of the prior order of visitation os for a new order modifiying the old and possibly changing custidy all together.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.