What to do about a house that is jointly owed by a divorcing couple?

My ex-wife and I are in the process of selling our house. Both our names are still on it, however neither of us are living there. She mentioned renting it out which I do not want to do. I have voiced my opinion that renting is not an option and do not agree to do so. I found out yesterday, by reading the paper, that she has taken out an ad in one of our local classifieds stating that it is for rent. Is she able to rent our house without my consent? What can I do to prevent this?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Family Law, New Hampshire


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Really no but you need to act quickly here.  You can being an action to prevent her from renting in court.  You may want to speak with an attorney about bringing an action for partition to ask the court to split the house between you (and in the end it would just be ordered sold) and to enjoin her from renting it.  Seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.