What can I do if my ex was to have taken my name off house loan 5 years ago but he has made no attempt to do so and is ruining my credit?

Asked on July 11, 2017 under Family Law, Kentucky


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that your ex taking your name off the house loan was part of your divorce decree or court order, you can pursue contempt of court.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing for contempt of court.  Contact the court clerk to schedule a hearing.  With your Order to Show Cause, also file with the court your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the fact that your ex has failed to take your name off the house loan during the past five years.  You should also file any additional documents or other evidence in support of your contempt of court claim against your ex.  File all of these items with a proof of service (court form).  Then, mail a copy of all documents you are filing with a proof of service to your ex so that he/she will have notice of the contempt of court hearing. The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.
 Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any additional items are required to be filed for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.