What to do if my ex took my vehicle without my permission and got a DWI?

They impounded my vehicle and I have no way to pay the release fee and the imposed. It totals $900. I lost my job because of this and my place to live. All of my belongings are in that vehicle. He has disappeared. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on August 15, 2013 under Criminal Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that assuming you have insurance on the car that you consult with your insurance carrier over what happened. You also might consider making a theft report with law enforcement if the car was taken without your permission. The last option is to consult your local legal aid clinic where you reside.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.