If my ex sexually abused a mutual friend and his lawyer sent me a subpoena to show up at his office and give a deposition, how can I get out of this?

I was not there when the incident happened I was just told about it by the victim. I think he is just doing this out of spite because he knows I am not on his side.

Asked on July 23, 2015 under Criminal Law, Missouri


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to review the subpoena with your own attorney - BEFORE the time/date you are supposed to appear.  If you simply ignore it or otherwise fail to appear, you may find yourself in contempt of court.  Your own attorney may be able to find a basis for you to avoid having to testify or a basis for limiting the scope of what you have to testify about.  Presumably they want to know all about what the victim told you about it - and that is likely to be legally permissible, assuming you are in the same State, etc.  Talk with your own attorney to protect your own interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.