If my ex lives out of state and is refusing to bring my child home as agreed by court order, what should i do along with filing contempt of court?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the situation with respect to the return of your child is to work with the "ex" in simply getting the child home to you per the existing court order that you have written about. If that will not resolve the situation then you need to retain a family law attorney to get the petition for an order to show cause filed.

One other option is to contact law enforcement about the violation of a court order by the "ex" to see if law enforcement will intervene in the matter. This might get the return of your child to you sooner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.