If my ex let a student loan in my name for my stepdaughter go to default, what do I do?

In our divorce it was agreed that he would take over payments of this loan since she was his daughter. This was even brought up and organized by his lawyer. Now it’s in default and I can get a student loan for myself and they want to garnish my wages. Can I fix this problem?

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  The student loan lender was not a party to the divorce agreement between you and so they are not bound by its terms.  Your ex is, however, bound and so you can fix this by taking him back to court for contempt and for breach of the agreement.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.