If my ex is self employed and says he can’t pay alimony, is there anything I can do?

Asked on November 8, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If he's not paying the alimony he is supposed to under a divorce decree or settlement, sue him to enforce that decree or settlement; in the course of the lawsuit, there is a mechanism, called "discovery" (such as written questions, called "interrogatories"; requests to produce documents, like tax returns, billing records, bank accounts; etc.) which you could use to find out if he can in fact pay. If he can, the court will then force him to do so.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.