If my ex is not letting me see my daughter and we have never been to court, how could I go about seeing her without having to get tied up in court?

My ex has our daughter. He is not on the birth certificate. He is keeping my daughter from me and only letting me see her when he wants me too. I have beehn trying to deal with this hoping he will change but he hasn’t. This is hurting our daughter more then anything she wants me in her life and I want het in my life. I dont want to get the law involved because she doesn’t need to see that.

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your "ex" will not let you visit with your child then you have to get the court system possibly involved in that will be the only way for you to obtain visitation rights from what you have written. As such, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney that has experience in child custody and visitation matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.