What to do if my ex-husband was court ordered to carry insurance for my 3 sons but has dropped coverage on the oldest?

My oldest is now a full-time student in college. My ex got angry with me and dropped my oldest from his insurance. With all the new health care laws, is he obligated to carry the insurance since my son is a full-time student? He received Cobra info in the mail, and the reason for dropping coverage says “loss of dependent”.

Asked on October 19, 2013 under Family Law, Wisconsin


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The answer to your question will be contained in the provisions of your divorce decree, judgment, and any marital settlement agreement attached and incorporated into the judgment. Many decrees state thate the obligations terminate upon the child's emanicipation, i.ie. obtaining the age of majority, 18 years of age.  Others may have a requirement which continues while the dependent is enrolled full time in a post-secondary educational facility.  The decree, not federal health legislation, dictates.

Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to consult your family law attorney who handled the divorce.  If your ex-husband is still required under the court order to cover your son, then you need to go back to court to get that order enforced.  But this depends on what the court order says, not on what the Affordable Care Act says.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.