If y ex-husband states he will bring a friend as a witness with him the next time he picks up our children is he allowed do this?

Our parenting plan specifically states that only the parents, future spouse or blood relatives can be part of the exchange. He also stated his friend in question is a county officer. My ex-husband says because he will be present during the exchange, he can bring a witness. However, would not this be considered a monitored exchange? My ex-husband is lives an 1 1/2 hours south of me.

Asked on August 30, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The parenting plan that you have written about is not a court order. Rather it is a plan which typically used as a guideline. From what you have written there is nothing improper for your "ex" to bring a friend as a witness with him the next time he picks up the children. I suggest that if this is such a concern with you that you consult with a family law attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.