If my ex-husband’s name is on the loan and he pays half the bills and I get a roommate without his permission, is there anything he can do?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Maybe.  Maybe not.  It really depends on what your marital agreement states or the court ordered upon your divorce.  If you were given exclusive use and occupancy of the house or distribution upon divorce then no, he probably can not object.  However, he may be able to apply for a reduction in the amount that he has to pay given your new financial circumstances.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.