If my ex-husband died without a Will and we own a house together with the deed in both of our names, how do we get our children’s names on it so we that can sell the home?

I realize my that children own half of the estate.

Asked on April 22, 2015 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The way it would be done is that an Administrator or Personal Representative be appointed and if there is a sale of the house the Adminstrator would sign as the person representing the estate along side you as Grantor.  If the children are minors their share would go in to an account for their benefit when they are 18.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.