What to do if my ex-husband owes me years of back child support?

My daughter is now 21 and I know there is no statue of limitations. He was obligated to pay until she was 18. I have tried to work with him but always get an excuse now it is time to go further. I have the records of what he has paid but he owes me over $5,000.It was court ordered at $135 a week. What can I do to collect this debt?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are correct: in your state there is no statute of limitations to enforce a child support order.  So what you need to do is to sue him for the back support owed, obtain a judgement against him and then enforce the jdugement in any way that your state allows: garnishment, levy - what ever.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.