If my ex-husband lives in my house but there is no rental/lease agreement and he pays no rent, can I enter the house without his permission?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. I do not understand why a man is living in your home with no agreement.  Did you mean there is no written agreement? Is there an oral (spoken) agreement? A wriiten lease is required by law in Minnesota in certain circumstances only. Or, did you just learn that the man is 'squatting' or 'hiding out' in your house?  Regardless of circumstances,  I recommend you seek counsel of a private attorney regarding your situation right away. I recommend that you make several phone calls to attorneys in choosing an attorney, because you should feel great trust in the attorney-client relationship. All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.