How do I get my ex-husband to stop if he is trying to collect on a debt I owed which was recently discharged in my Chapter 7?

I represented myself. Things went smoothly and I received a discharge. I am certain he received notice of the discharge. How do I file a complaint?

Asked on March 1, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you owed your ex-husband on a debt you owed him or that you owed jointly for some reason because his name was also on the debt, you need to show that he received notice of the bankruptcy and either filed a claim which was denied or that he failed to file a claim or answer. You then review the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and send him a letter (I believe registered mail is required) to show that he cannot continue to try to collect on a debt discharged by bankruptcy. Do not reaffirm the debt, whatever you do. Further, make sure he has not filed anything himself with your credit reporting agencies. You need to review all three credit reports (you get one free from each once a year).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.