If my ex-husband is not paying what he is supposed to according to our divorce agreement, what can I do?

It is not child support or alimony but rather an agreement that he and I made together; the judge approved it and made it part of our divorce agreement.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

An agreement like you describe should be enforceable as a contract. If your ex-husband is not honoring it, you could sue him based on the agreement, seeking a judgment for the money; once you have the judgment, there are various mechanism, including wage executions (garnishments) get the money if he won't pay it voluntarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.