What to do if my ex-husband is behing nearly a year on child support?

He claims he is now going through surgeries and trying to get his disability. If he is to receive any back pay, can I get my daughter’s child support paid before he gets any money?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the issue of arrearages with your former husband is to have a face to face meeting with him to see what he can do to come current. Assuming an agreement is made, have it memorialized in writing signed by both of you as to what the monthly payments will be.

If no agreement can be made, and you really need the arrearages cleared up, you will need to consult with a family law attorney to see what your legal recourse is which may entail filing a petition with the court to force the issue with the "ex".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.