What to do if my ex-husband has visitation rights only with my child and when he took him for this month, he left my son with a 14 year old to go to a party?

What should I do to let him know I do not approve of this and make sure that he won’t do it again?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a court order in place that sets out specific periods of visitation and the rules for those periods of visitation, then those rules will control.   If he'll agree to "not do it again," and you believe that it won't happen again, then that's all you need to do.  You may even offer, if you want to, to take your son on the nights he wants or needs to go on outings.  If he doesn't agree to this compromise, then you may want to send him a written request (certified for by email), so that you can have proof to a court later of (1) his poor child care choices and (2) that he hasn't accepted your proposal to provide better care for your child.

If that doesn't work, then you will need to seek a modification of the court orders to place limits on who he uses for childcare.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.