If my ex- husband has passed and my son is his only child, how do we find out what he is entitled to?

Should we take his grandfather’s word or will the court make sure everything is fair?

Asked on November 17, 2014 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your son's loss.  Was there a Will or did he die with out a Will ("intestate") because under Ohio intestacy your son inherited all of his estate at the time of his death.  If there were a Will then you need to see it (your son should have been served a copy but it is on file in the Probate Court and a public record).  I might consult an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.