If my ex-husband has not paid any of the alimony that he was ordered to and we have been divorced for almost 2 years now, is there any way I can get him to pay this?

Motion to enforce?

Asked on December 15, 2015 under Family Law, Idaho


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to file an Order To Show Cause with the court for a hearing seeking to have your ex-husband held in contempt of court.  You should attach a declaration signed under  penalty of perjury stating the facts of his failure to pay alimony and any supporting documents such as the court's order to pay alimony.  You will need to schedule a hearing on this matter.  Serve a copy by mail on your ex-husband of the documents you file with the court.  If your ex-husband has an attorney, serve the documents by mail on the attorney.  Check with the court clerk to inquire if any other documents are needed to pursue contempt of court as the required documents may vary from state to state.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.