What to do if my ex-husband filed a default divorce against me and the divorce was granted, however he claimed there were no communal debts when in fact there are?

This was 6 months ago. I would like to get the debts divided up.

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with a family law attorney to see about getting the default against you set aside. Ordinarily one has up to six (6) months to try and set such aside assuming there is good cause to do so. Unless you get the default set aside, you are stuck with the default judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.