Since my ex-husband fails to abide by certain agreements of our divorce agreement, if I start doing the same thing to make a point what consequences might I face?

They are generally petty issues that I don’t think are worth the money to go back to court.

Asked on September 7, 2015 under Family Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

One party's violation or breach of elements of a divorce agreement doesn't generally allow the other party to breach, too, so if you start doing those things, your ex-husband could bring a legal action based on your breach, seeking monetary compensation, an adjustment in the agreement's terms, and/or a court forcing you to honor the agreement. The fact that he did the same things doesn't help you, since you had the right to bring a legal action to enforce the agreement--which is the proper procedure even if, as you point out, not always economically worthwhile--and your choice to "waive," or ignore, those violations does not moot your own obligations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.