If my ex-husband died owing me over $15,000 in a court ordered case, what do I need to do to file a claim?

I do not have the money to hire an attorney and I know he had a settlement that is going to paid in a couple of weeks. He does have a widow that knows he owes this but has stated that she hopes she gets the check before I can file the claim. He passed about 3 weeks ago.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have not recorded an abstract of judgment regarding the $15,000 award that you have against your former husband, I suggest that you do so as soon as possible so as to perfect the judgment that you have against him.

Since you cannot afford to fire an attorney to assist you in your matter, I suggest that you call your local legal aid clinic and/or county bar association to see if they have a program to assist you "gratis" or for a nominal fee.

One way to get the $15,000 owed you is to lien the case where there is to be a settlement as to him. The best way to get the help you need other than consulting with a consumer law attorney is to consult with your local legal aid clinic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.