If my ex-husband and I divorced 7 months ago and the loan for our vehicle was in his name but the car was awarded to me as a part of the divorce, how can I get the loan changed into my name?

I have a signed power of attorney form from my ex and the certified divorce decree showing I have been awarded the vehicle. It was an abusive marriage where I wasn’t allowed to have accounts in order to build credit, so I can’t qualify to refinance. Can’t they just change the name on the loan into my name?

Asked on November 16, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The finance company is not bound by the divorce decree.  As such, they are (unfortunately) not very concerned about what you need.  They are correct, however, in that the way for you to get your name on and his name off of that account is to refinance it into your name.  I suggest that even if the interest is a little bit higher, that it's important to get the account refinanced into your name.  As long as his name is on the account, he will have he right to access or alter the account-- which could result in additional charges to you down the road.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.