If my ex is legally obligatingme for various financial matters without my permission, what can I do?

I have been divorced for almost a year. My ex went insurance shopping and I get phone calls telling me what I owe. She also signed up my daughter for clarinet lessons and I get the bill. Now I have collection agencies sending letters. I did not have prior knowledge that she was doing this until the phone calls. I called her and told her I will not pay for these bills. She just laughed. I would like to know what legal action, letter, hire any attorney, that I have or should do. 

Asked on July 27, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should go and consult with an attorney on these matters.  As for the parties calling you right now, ask them to see a copy of the contract you signed for the lessons and for the insurance coverage. Tell them that unless they can prove that it was you that agreed to these services and contracted for them you are going to report them and if they do anything to effect your credit score you will be after THEM. Your ex is not your agent and she can not bind you legally to pay for these services.

Now, what does your divorce agreement state? You ex is trying to legally bind you, but what are you obligated to pay?  You need to sort this out with an attorney and take some sort of step to insure that she does not continue.  That will be for a Judge to tell her.  Some how people understand better when it comes from a Judge.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.