What to do if my ex got the motor home in our divorce 3 years ago but the paperwork shows 50/50 and now he has defaulted?

The bank wants $140,000 from me.We had verbal agreement he could keep motor home. He let some company rent it out. He won’t tell me or doesn’t know exactly where motor home is now. I was served with summons from bank giving 30 days for me to dispute. What is my best bet here? Can I dispute stating we had verbal agreement and possibly attain a motorized statement as such or is filing bankruptcy an option? I own my home and vehicles out right and raise 6 kids.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This all depends on what the family law judgment says.  If the judgment says you share the motor home, then you are both responsible for payments.  Did the order specify who would make payments?  Did it require him to convert the loan into his name only (this is routine practice)? 

You should find a copy of the family law judgment and contact a local attorney for help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.