What do I do if my ex-girlfriend kicked me out and won’t give me my stuff back?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your former girlfriend has kicked you out of the place that you once shared with her and refuses to allow you back to get your belongings, the following are your options:

1. have a mutual friend act as an intermediary so that you can return and get your belongings and leave under the supervison of others.

2. write a letter to your former girlfriend seeking a date and time to pick up your belongings.

3. file a small claims court action against her for the value of the items she refuses to let you have.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.